Know the many benefits of sesame oil for baby skin and how massaging and feeding the oil to your baby is favorable for the overall growth of your child!
Newborn babies thrive on milk, love, care, and gentle touch. When your baby turns a month old, his/her delicate skin becomes a little tougher, and s/he can benefit from an oil massage. As you maintain eye contact with your baby and talk to him, treat him to a gentle oil massage. It strengthens the bond between you and your baby and boosts your baby’s growth and development. Along with coconut oil, sesame oil is the most recommended oil for baby skin massages.
Sesame oil is an edible oil obtained from the sesame seeds of the Sesamum indicum plant. The cultivation of these seeds dates back to prehistoric times and is one of the first plants processed for its oil yield. It is cultivated mostly in Asia and Africa, with India being the largest producer. Traditional Indian medicine systems Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha, also recognize the potent medicinal properties of sesame seed oil.
Composition and Properties
- The seeds contain 50-60% oil, 18-25% protein, 13.5% carbohydrate, and 5% ash. It has 85% unsaturated fatty acids, calcium, phosphorous, selenium, zinc, copper, iron, vitamins A, B, E, and K.
- The seeds have many nutritional and medicinal properties. They have certain unique natural organic compounds called sesamin, sesamol, and sesamolin, which have cholesterol and high blood pressure-lowering properties. Sesamol possesses antioxidant, antimutagenic, antihepatotoxic, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and chemopreventive properties. It also has potent anti-cancer effects. It protects the body from damage due to free radicals and boosts immunity.
- Omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9 fatty acids prevent heart disease and boost immunity. It also provides high energy and prevents aging. Sesame oil can be used as a substitute for olive oil.
- You can give your baby a sesame oil massage starting from his/her 2nd month upto a year. You can gently massage him/her for 10 to 15 minutes and let the oil get absorbed and work its magic for at least half an hour and then bath the baby.
Benefits of Sesame oil for baby skin
1. Light Weight
Sesame oil is a natural and light oil that penetrates into the baby’s skin quickly and easily. Apart from being light in weight, the oil also lubricates and nourishes your baby’s skin and enhances skin quality.
2. Moisturizing Properties
It has extremely potent moisturizing properties that when applied topically, prevent your skin from dryness and make it soft and supple. Additionally, it tones the skin and muscles and helps in relaxing them, thereby promoting sound sleep.
3. Anti-bacterial Properties
Sesame oil has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that prevent skin infections. The anti-inflammatory properties help in soothing the itchiness and irritation caused by eczema or other skin conditions.
4. Facilitates Growth
A thorough massage with sesame oil strengthens your baby’s bones and its rich vitamin and minerals content promotes overall growth.
5. Protective Qualities
The oil forms a protective barrier on the skin that prevents damage from UV rays and hence also lowers skin cancer risk. It also detoxifies skin and promotes skin regeneration.
6. Other Benefits
It improves blood circulation and provides a feeling of warmth and well-being in your baby, especially in the winter season.
Sesame oil can be introduced into your baby’s diet when s/he is six months old or preferably older.
Benefits of Feeding Sesame Oil to your Baby
Feeding sesame oil to your baby is a great way to add nutrients to your baby’s diet. As mentioned, the oil has anti-viral properties that will shield your baby from infections of various types. It has heart-protective and cancer-preventive effects. The healing properties and presence of vitamin K in the oil aid the faster blood clotting functioning of the body.
If you feed the oil to your baby during their growth years, it will facilitate bone and teeth health and also boost immunity. The iron content in sesame oil will prevent your baby from anemia. There are many health benefits of sesame oil that one can get by incorporating the oil in their daily life. Some other benefits of sesame oil for your baby are listed below:
- The selenium in sesame oil promotes thyroid health.
- It’s antioxidant properties boost immunity and prevent diseases.
- It stimulates and eases digestion.
- Unsaturated fats and amino acid content promote your baby’s growth and development.
- It helps your baby gain weight.
- Vitamin E content promotes skin and hair health.
- It has amino acids, which help relieve stress, lift depression, and also improve mood.
- It’s anti-microbial properties prevent urinary tract infections.
- It prevents and treats anemia.
- Vitamin A helps maintain healthy vision.
- It helps regulate blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
Side effects and precautions:
- One must always prefer cold-pressed sesame oil over commercial ones to avoid the risk of chemical additives.
- Always consult your doctor before trying out anything new for a baby.
- Some babies may show allergic reactions, which can be mild, like rash or swelling, or severe reactions like anaphylaxis.
- Do a patch test with a small quantity of the oil and watch for any allergic reactions.
- It is high in calories; therefore, it can lead to weight gain.
- According to the Mayo clinic, do not massage your baby for at least 45 minutes after feeding your baby.
- Never give massage to your baby when they are asleep.