Learn why you should include brussels sprout puree for baby by knowing the astounding benefits of the vegetable with a recipe to include it in the diet.
It becomes very critical for us to decide what to serve to a baby and whatnot. Brussel sprouts are a healthy food item that you can feed to your baby in the initial years of their growth. Let us see in this article how you can use Brussels sprout puree for baby.
Brussels sprouts are a renowned member of the Gemmifera family, a giant species of cabbages. You can eat Brussel sprouts with their edible buds. The vegetable is leafy and resembles the miniature of a cabbage. Brussels sprouts are particularly famous in Brussels, Belgium, hence the name.
Brussels sprouts are highly nutritional with various beneficial properties for babies. The below-given points will explain the presence of various vitamins and minerals in the vegetable.
- They do not contain any fat and cholesterol, whether saturated or unsaturated.
- There is 25 mg of sodium which comprises 1% of the daily value.
- Nine grams of total carbohydrate is present in the Brussels sprouts, including the dietary fibers and sugar.
- The protein content in the daily intake of brussel sprout is 3.4 g.
- Other vitamins and minerals present are vitamin C, iron, Vitamin B6, calcium, Vitamin D, cobalamin, and Magnesium.
Brussels Sprouts for Baby
Coming to the health benefits of Brussels sprouts for babies, here is a list of 6 benefits that one can easily enjoy while serving Brussels sprouts to the babies.
1. High in Nutrition
Brussels sprouts are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Some major nutrients in 78g of Brussels sprouts are:
- 28 cal
- 2 grams of protein
- 6 grams of carbohydrates
- 2 grams of fiber
- 137 percent of Vitamin K
- 81% of Vitamin C
- 12% of vitamin A
- 12% of Folate
- 9% of Manganese
2. High in Antioxidants
The presence of antioxidants makes it more valuable to serve a baby because it lowers the risk of developing any chronic disease. The food item is high in kaempferol, which is an antioxidant that has many health-promoting properties. There are pieces of evidence that it also reduces the risk of cancer in babies and helps in cell growth.
3. Protection Against Cancer
There are no evidence proofs, but some studies have shown that Brussels sprouts can protect babies against carcinogens, which are the cancer-causing agent and are responsible for the damage of cells.
4. High Fiber Content
Fiber is one of the most essential aspects of child growth as it helps them maintain the digestive system balance. The adequate intake of dietary fiber can relieve constipation by increasing stool frequency and softening it for easy passage.
5. Maintenance of Healthy Blood Sugar Level
It is essential to maintain an impressive nutrient profile when it comes to child growth. The formation of blood is vigorous in infancy age. Babies are more inclined towards eating sugary food items. Moreover, adding Brussels sprouts to the diet adds an aid to maintain the blood sugar levels in babies.
6. Rich in ALA Omega 3 Fatty Acid
You cannot serve fish or seafood to babies, which can cause a deficiency of Omega 3 fatty acids. Adding Brussels sprouts to your diet can balance the amount of such healthy fatty acids in babies.
These are a few benefits that babies can enjoy if their parents add Brussels sprouts to their diets. Not only babies but adults can also enjoy the benefits of adding Brussels sprouts to their diet. However, according to the research, women need 12% of Brussels sprouts in their daily diet, and men need 8.5%.
Brussels Sprout Puree Recipe
Here’s a simple recipe that you can use to add Brussels sprouts to your baby’s diet.
- 1 cup of water
- One or two pounds of Brussels sprouts
- First, you need to remove the end of Brussels sprouts and then cut them in half.
- Place a steamer basket into a saucepan and add water to it. Fill the container up to the rim.
- Now place the sprouts in the steamer basket.
- Let the water boil and turn the stove to low. The process will take 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once you find that the sprouts are cooked, let them cool and transfer them to a food processor.
- Blend it till it gets in the texture of puree.
- You can add plain yogurt if your baby likes it.
This is a simple recipe that you can use to cook and serve Brussels sprouts to your baby in a healthy way.
The Last Lines
This is everything that we have to impart on Brussels sprouts for babies. You can search for more recipes as per your taste. Always keep in mind that everything you serve to your baby should be adequate as an excess of everything brings the worst. Do not forget to put your views in the comment section below and share the valuable information with those who need it.